Industrial Website Redesign
Spanwell Redesigns Website with eCommerce and Increases Online Sales by 249% After the First Year
Spanwell (Spanwell Service, Inc.) is headquartered in Forsyth, MT, USA and is a manufacturer of large S hooks and clamps used for OSHA compliance in workplace safety and industrial air tools. The company was founded in 1987 and got its start by repairing industrial tools for Montana Power Company. Today as Spanwell celebrates its 27th Anniversary in business; it serves a wide variety of industrial customers in the US, Canada and a few other countries.
Challenge: This client wanted to reposition the company from one of a tool repair company to where the focus shifted to selling its line of products for industrial workplace safety and specialty industrial air tools. Our engagement with the client was completed in two phases – Phase I was Strategic Consulting and Phase II was Redesign Website with new content.
Solution: After consulting with the client, we conducted an in-depth internal discovery of the current business and sales processes, gained a deeper understanding of their products and how they were being used by a range of industrial customers.
Based on our analysis, we developed and/or recommended the strategies and implemented the following industrial marketing tactics:
- Developed 10-step online marketing strategy for repositioning the company
- Researched keywords and phrases used by the target audience and identified a set of primary, secondary and tertiary target phrases for SEO
- On- and off-page optimization to achieve significant improvements in search engine rankings
- Completely redesigned the company’s website from the ground up
- Implemented a blog for ongoing SEO and building thought leadership for differentiation
- Installed a secured shopping cart to add another sales channel
- Drafted new site content and blog posts
- Implemented site analytics to track ROI
- Provided ongoing training, support and site updates
- Helped refine and clean up marketing database
- Edit/rewrote direct mail copy
- Made recommendations for redesigning product packaging and imprinting for ease of reordering
- Achieved five page 1 rankings in Google for the top keyword phrase
- Achieved six page 1 rankings in Google for the second primary keyword phrase
- Achieved multiple page 1 rankings for other primary and secondary keywords and phrases
- Increased Site Visits by 15.23%, Unique Visitors by 22.90%, Pageviews by 14.86%, Avg. Visit Duration by 13.25% and reduced bounce by 29.65% (Year-over-Year)
- Increased New Visits by 80.9%
- Increased online sales by 249% after the first year and maintained an upward trend in online sales in each year since
- Exceeded client’s targeted total sales in the first year (Online and other sources)
NOTE: This case study was based on the site redesign that was launched in 2012. In early 2014 we completed another redesign for the client to make the new site mobile responsive, revamped online product catalog and updated the shopping cart.